Program 1: Certification and License Only Program (Complete Phases I and II)
A minimum of a high school diploma or GED is required to be accepted to this program.
Complete Phase I
Each candidate must complete the following 5 courses:
- Basic Christian Counseling
- Temperament Theory
- Temperament Therapy
- Christian Counseling: Integrating Temperament and Psychology
Each candidate must:
- Complete a practicum. This consists of administering the A.P.S. to 10 individuals under the direction of an assigned and approved clinical supervisor.
Upon completion of the required courses, submit the following:
- Written responses to 50 ethical questions posed by the N.C.C.A.’s Licensing Board of Examiners.
- Pay $50 for first year’s annual dues.
- A signed Application for Certification/Membership form.
- A signed copy of N.C.C.A.’s Code of Ethical Standards.
Upon completion of Phase I requirements, subsequent review and acceptance, the candidate will qualify to receive:
- a Certified Temperament Counselor certificate and
- a Clinical Member (non-clergy) or Professional Clinical Member (clergy)
- certificate, membership card and lapel pin
Complete Phase II
Each candidate must complete the following 3 courses:
- Mastering Pastoral Counseling Utilizing Temperament
- Temperament Case Studies
- Counseling the Codependent
Each candidate must:
- Upon completion of the required courses, submit the following:
- Complete a practicum. This consists of administering the A.P.S. to 15 additional individuals under the direction of an assigned and approved clinical supervisor.
- A signed application for N.C.C.A. license.
- The Notification and Release Form for Personal National Screening. (This form authorizes the N.C.C.A. to secure a national background check to verify each candidate’s history.)
- Submit current ministerial credentials.*
*All candidates are required to have current ministerial credentials in order to be credentialed as a pastoral counselor by the National Christian Counselors Association. If you do not already have valid ministerial credentials, we recommend you speak with your local pastor or church leadership about attaining these credentials through your local church or denomination.
- A certification / licensing fee of $100.00
Upon completion of Phase II requirements, subsequent review and acceptance, the candidate will qualify to receive:
- Certified Pastoral Counselor (high-school diploma, GED or Associates)
- Licensed Pastoral Counselor (holds a Bachelors)
- Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor (holds a Masters)
- Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor-Advanced Certified (holds a Doctorate)
- Certified Temperament Pastoral Counselor (Optional) (additional $39 fee applies)
(Available also if state law prohibits the use of term pastoral license)
Annual membership and certification/license renewal is required to maintain valid N.C.C.A. credentials. Membership is currently $50 per year and license renewal is $20 per year (total $70). A signed affidavit verifying continuing education must be submitted annually for license renewal.
Clinical Supervisors are to be paid $50 per hour and every candidate must complete six (6) hours of supervision.
The tuition for each Phase I and Phase II course is currently $292. There is a $5 processing fee per course plus actual shipping cost added to each order. Candidates are expected to pay for each course prior to shipping.